Translators USA Blog

Welcome to our Blog

Police Record Translation

For almost 20 years, Translators USA has been helping visa and green card applicants from all over the world having their documents properly translated. Birth certificates, marriage certificates, academic degrees, school transcripts, ... And yes, our language specialists also provide police record translation which is required when police record is written in other than English. But why police record is required anyway? And who must submit it?

Reasons for Police Record Submission Requirement


Before granting a visa or permission for permanent residence, most countries make sure that the applicant will be a constructive member of the society. Simply put, they don't want any trouble. Therefore it is of utmost importance for the authorities to make sure that they aren't letting any criminals onto their territory. This, however, doesn't necessarily mean that all visa and green card applicants with a police record will be rejected.

Who Needs to Submit a Police Record?

Police record must be submitted by all visa and green card applicants 16 years of age or older even if they have never been arrested, tried or convicted for any crime. In this case, however, they need to submit a police certificate rather than police record to prove that they haven't committed any crime. Those that have, on the other hand, must submit a police record regardless of their age at the time of arrest.

Does a Police Record Impact the Application Outcome?

Yes, it does. Depending on the crime(s) in the record, the application for visa or green card can be denied. But as mentioned earlier, an arrest, trial or conviction doesn't necessarily make a person inadmissible. For example, no one is usually rejected for “Driving Under the Influence”. Convictions for drug possession, on the other hand, typically result in rejection unless being eligible for a waiver. For more information on “inadmissible crimes” and eligibility for a waiver, please contact the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs or the nearest U.S. Embassy.

Withholding a Criminal Record From the Authorities Doesn't Pay Off

Since some countries don't issue police certificates that prove that the applicant hasn't committed any crime, some applicants simply “forget” to submit a police record. However, just because they have received a permission for entry, that doesn't necessarily mean they are “off the hook”. Most of them are eventually exposed and when they are, they are either facing prison or deportation.

Police Records Not Written in English Language Must be Translated to be Accepted in the United States

In addition to submitting an official police record/certificate, it is also necessary to submit an English translation if the original isn't written in English. But in order for the translation to be accepted, it is crucial for it to be certified translation. This means that it should be done by a certified translator who includes a statement that it is an accurate translation of the original document and that they are competent to translate for the language pair in question.

Translators USA Provides Fast and Cost-Effective Certified Translations

Entrust your police record translation to Translators USA and we will deliver you certified translation in the shortest time possible at the rate you won't find anywhere else. So call 888-790-8872 or contact us through our website today! We're available 7 days a week!

Planning Your Multilingual Event – Which Interpret...
Portable Interpreting Equipment - When, Why and Ho...

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Tuesday, 16 January 2018
If you'd like to register, please fill in the username, password and name fields.

Captcha Image